At the gates of the West in Cluj, in the ancient romanian village Manastur, there was a big monastery, blessed, known as “Monasterium Beatae Mariae de Clus”. It was surrounded by a big defence wall which dated back the the 9th century.
At the beginning of the 13th century, after some controversy between the monastery rulers and the Bishop of Transylvania, the monaster was under siege. The mongol invasion in 1241 lead to the destruction fo the city and the monaster wich was demolished and burned to the ground.
The building was restored in 1263 from the order of King Bela IV. The actual monastery, named The Roman Catholic Church Calvaria, was built between 1470-1508 in the gotic style. Through out the time the monastery passed through periods of prosperity and decline. In 1787, after the war with the turks, the bishop Alexander Rudnai decide to demolish the church and only few things were salvaged, mainly the altars, and it was transformed into an chapel. From the artistic side from the glorious church only thing that was left was a statue of Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus in her arms and it`s posted on a pedestel at the entrance of the church.
Travel guide :
Culture of Cluj:
Monuments and buildings:
The Gallerz of Art :